As cancer is a condition that can affect many different parts of the body, and presents in many different ways, a multidisciplinary approach with a team of specialists in different areas is the most effective approach to treating the disease.
A team put together to help a patient with cancer will generally comprise some or all of the following specialists:
- Oncologists (cancer specialists who help with overall treatment across radiation, medical and surgical approaches).
- Specialist cancer care nurses.
- General Practitioners.
- Haematologists (blood specialists).
- Psycho-oncologists (specialists in the social and psychological aspects of cancer).
Dr Silverman has a great deal of experience in surgical procedures for the treatment of cancers that impact the following:
- Bile Ducts.
Gastrointestinal (GI) tract
- Oesophagus ('food pipe' or 'gullet').
- Upper gastrointestinal tract.